PENSIONERS' VOICE AND SOUND TRACK APPEALS YOU "USE MASK""KEEP SOCIAL DISTANCE" "GHAR BATHO ZINDA RAHO" "STAY HOME SAVE LIVES"
DEAR FRIENDS, CONGRATS, YOUR BLOG CROSSED 3268000 HITS ON 01.02.2023 THE BLOG WAS LAUNCHED ON 23.11.2014,HAVE A GREAT DAY
VISIT 'PENSIONERS VOICE & SOUND TRACK' WAY TO CATCH UP ON PENSIONER RELATED NEWS!

Thursday 12 March 2015

Babas, politicians and ‘Vitamin She’

The Tribune (Posted at: Mar 12 2015 12:21AM)
V.K. Kapoor
Babas, politicians and ‘Vitamin She’
Those were the days before Operation Bluestar. Punjab was on the boil. A prominent Baba of Punjab who was on the hit list of terrorists was asked to shift to Sirsa in Haryana.  I was the S.P., Sirsa. The day the Baba came, a very senior politician of Punjab, who later became the Chief Minister, came to me and took me to the Baba. He told me about his special relations with the Baba and asked me to make foolproof security arrangements for him.  I found out the number of Deras and Babas in the district. They were all on the hit list of terrorists and were very anxious about their personal security. This gave me a close look into the  world of Babas and the Dera culture of the region.

They exercised tremendous influence and attracted a large number of followers. Politicians cultivated them to get votes. The influence of the Babas percolated through political arteries.
Some of these Babas became very friendly with me. I found them a useful source of intelligence.  They were fully aware of the situation at ground zero. Politicians routinely visited the Babas. Politicians and Babas have large women followers and supporters. I asked a minister about his women supporters.  He mischievously replied that ‘Vitamin She’ was essential to keep life interesting and going. Once I was sitting with a ‘Baba’. I had a bad throat. He told me, “Tussi Bhuki Wali Chai Nal Thori Afeem Lai Lao” (You have some opium with a poppy husk tea). Drugs are commonly used. His personal secretary looked like the Taj in moonlight. I used to call him 'Baba Kamdev'. In the presence of Babas women melt like cheese under a boiler.
Many years later a Baba proved very useful. I was heading the State Intelligence. A senior politician was friendly with a woman. I suspected that she had some terrorist contacts. I put her telephone on surveillance. I picked a call to London which said, “Kudi Pasand Aa Gayi, Marriage Palace Book Kra Liya Hai, Massi Nu Puchho 14 Tarik Nu Rishta Pacca Kar Dyae” (The girl has been approved, the marriage palace has been booked, get permission from Aunt to solemnise the relationship on 14th).
I rang up my Baba friend. After sometime he decoded the message: “The girl is the politician, marriage palace is the place, ‘Massi’ is a terrorist in Lahore and ‘Risha Pacca kar Dyae’ means ‘should he be killed?’”
I told my boss and after verifying the information we went to the politician and informed him the identity of the ‘Massi’. He was alarmed. I asked him if he had any appointment on 14th. He said that he was to go somewhere to wish someone ‘Happy Birthday’. We advised him not to go. He was saved. 
 Both Babas and politicians play on the innocence of the unsuspecting people. Both of them have a smooth tongue. A smooth tongue makes faster friends than all the virtues.  They have an aura and charisma. It is a marriage of body language, powerful words, facial expressions and emotionally generated enthusiasm. They tailor what they say to meet the taste of the audience and the moment. What is required for a successful long innings in politics and Babagiri is a little oiliness, an infinite capacity for simulation and double talk and a facade of altruism.