https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrvBADGQes A Master’s Degree Means Nothing? 300+ Chinese Graduates Fight For One Cutting Vegetables Job 26 Aug 2026 #chinaobserver People online are shaking their heads: Have college diplomas really lost this much value? For many young people in China right now, the question isn’t whether studying is still worth it. It’s: once you finish college, what jobs are available—and how much money will you actually make? 82 Comments @asmongold2028 2 hours ago They built the most intensive university system just in time for AI to take all jobs @Dsdcain 1 hour ago China is in a death spiral. People aren't buying. So factories are closing and people are lose their job. Of course it accelerates building up to a crash. The CCP is destroying itself trying to cling to power. @sebion 31 minutes ago wait china doesn't have robots to cut vegetables and fruits? I thought it was so advanced and years ahead of other countries @johnreed8336 2 hours ago The people of China are being totally scammed by CCP elite and their associates. Time to rise up and free yourself and the country . @rudyavila1825 48 minutes ago May this be the generation that overthrows CCP and establishes democracy in China. @Kak180 1 hour ago ❤😘🤝💪👊Free China ❤ @MeongMiao 54 minutes ago Someday our job is just to receive from government and consume it to prevent the economy collapse. @Renfair333 1 hour ago They created generations who expect the benefits of open-market capitalism but thought capitalism wasn't needed to build it. @ivannovotny4552 24 minutes ago China's sad state of affairs. @ClaudioCostaLima 1 hour ago They call this communism.
Transcript: Over 300 master's degree graduates applied to cut veggies and stock shelves at a supermarket. So what's the point of studying anymore? People online are shaking their heads. Have college diplomas really lost this much value? For many young people in China right now, the question isn't whether studying is still worth it. It's once you finish college, what jobs are available and how much money will you actually make? A few who did land work say their salaries are surprisingly low. Hey, I'm seriously freaked out by the job market in Guangjou. I don't even know if it's just Guango. Anyway, I was scrolling Red Note just now and saw this post. There's this bookstore in the mall right next to my place hiring a clerk. So, it's close and the position sounded kind of nice. So, I asked about it. You know how much they're paying? I still 1:001 minutecan't believe it. 3,200 yen. And it's not even weekends off. You only get Mondays off, so you work weekends, too. 1:081 minute, 8 seconds[snorts] Plus, during probation, they cut 400 yen. So, that's 2,800 yen a month. What the? Even though they say 1:161 minute, 16 secondsit's only 6 hours a day, 2,800 yen is just ridiculous. What can you even do with 2,800 yen in Guangjo? Listen, a 1:251 minute, 25 secondscouple days ago I helped my mom find a job back home and she got a clerk position for 3,000 yen a month. Our hometown is some tiny 18th tier county. 1:361 minute, 36 secondsHow did it end up like this? One comment put it this way. Guanzo isn't short of people at all. There are nearly 100 1:441 minute, 44 secondsuniversities here, plus college grads from all over the country. Just think about that. Some people feel it more bluntly. 10 years have gone by. Prices 1:541 minute, 54 secondshave gone up, but wages haven't kept pace. 2:012 minutes, 1 secondSalaries these days are ridiculously low. Not even as good as 10 years ago. A few days ago, I went to apply for a job. 2:092 minutes, 9 secondsActually, I already did the trial shift. Everything seemed fine making cakes. 2:142 minutes, 14 secondsThey only mentioned a salary range at first and but now they're telling me it's 3,800 a month. Not going to lie, 10 2:212 minutes, 21 secondsyears ago, I was already making 4,000 yen a month, plus room and board, covering two meals. Only breakfast 2:292 minutes, 29 secondswasn't included. Everything else was covered. Now, they cover one meal, no full board, no lodging. So, one meal 2:362 minutes, 36 secondsprovided, no place to stay, and the pay is 3,800 yen. My goodness. The thing is, prices now and prices 10 years ago are 2:452 minutes, 45 secondsnot even in the same universe. What's more unsettling is that even a degree and solid work experience, once thought to be the shest way to raise your 2:542 minutes, 54 secondsstanding, don't necessarily bring better pay anymore. On August 24th, a story titled 45-year-old woman with a master's 3:023 minutes, 2 secondsdegree loses her job and sells fruit at a street stall hit Waybo's hot search. 3:073 minutes, 7 secondsMiss Chen studied overseas, worked in Beijing for 12 years, and once held a director's post at a real estate 3:143 minutes, 14 secondscompany. Her monthly income used to hit 45,000 UN. After 2 years out of work, she still has roughly 800,000 UN left on 3:223 minutes, 22 secondsher mortgage. Now she sells fruit from a stall and takes home only a few thousand a month. From a company director earning 3:293 minutes, 29 secondsover 40,000 UN a month to making a few thousand selling fruit. She has both the degree and the experience, but the income those used to deliver may no 3:383 minutes, 38 secondslonger be within reach. In the summer of 2026, about 12.7 million more university graduates will leave campus across 3:453 minutes, 45 secondsChina. After 4 years of college, some of them have started running the numbers. 3:513 minutes, 51 seconds[music] 3:543 minutes, 54 secondsFour years of college cost my family nearly 100,000 yen. After graduation, I went out to look for work. Guess how much the monthly pay turned out to be?
5,000 yen. Ane normal university. A degree from here shouldn't be that bad, right? But once I actually went into the real world, I realized the diploma isn't nearly as valuable as I thought. I did the math. With this 5,000 salary after food, daily stuff, all the expenses, even if I managed to save 1,000 a month, that's only 10,000 a year. It would take me 9 years just to earn back the money I spent on my 4-year degree. So, can someone please tell me what's the point of going to college? It used to be that the more you studied, the higher your degree, the richer your experience, the higher your income would climb. But that path is looking less and less certain now. Jobs are hard to find, and raises are getting harder to come by. For many families, even if they still have some savings, they don't dare to spend the way they used to. Data from the People's Bank of China showed that in the first 7 months of this year, household deposits rose by 7 trillion yen, while household loans fell by 827 billion UN. Government figures show retail sales of consumer goods rose just 0.6% year-onear in July and fixed asset investment dropped 6.7% 5:155 minutes, 15 secondsin the first 7 months. That pretty much tells the story. It's not that people have no money, they're just less and less willing to spend it or borrow. 5:235 minutes, 23 secondsWhatever they can save, they save. 5:265 minutes, 26 secondsWhatever debt they can avoid, they avoid. Jobs keep getting harder to find, yet the money sitting in banks keeps growing. There's money, but people won't 5:345 minutes, 34 secondstouch it. There are plenty of people, but they can't sell at a good price. Why won't they touch the money? Because a path most people once knew best after 5:425 minutes, 42 secondsthey had cash isn't working as well as it used to. Nizens talking about housing in Chong Sha aren't thinking about their 5:495 minutes, 49 secondshome values going up. They're wondering whether they'll even be able to sell the place later. 5:585 minutes, 58 secondsI don't dare talk about housing prices in Wuhou, but I know in Chong Sha right now, you could get a place that's 750 to 6:056 minutes, 5 seconds970 square ft in the city center for a little over 300,000 yen. These prices are only going to keep dropping. Whoever 6:136 minutes, 13 secondsdares to buy right now is a hero. a real hero. Right now, it's easy to trade cash for a home, but if you want to turn that home back into cash, it's really, really 6:226 minutes, 22 secondshard. People who already own homes worry the value will keep falling. Young people without homes still look at Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen, and 6:316 minutes, 31 secondsfeel they're too expensive. But for ordinary folks, the more practical question is this. The money they've worked so hard to earn, where can they 6:396 minutes, 39 secondseven put it now? For more than 20 years, Chinese families had a simple answer. 6:436 minutes, 43 secondsBuy a house. Now more and more people don't dare to take that path. So where else can the money go? Park it in the 6:506 minutes, 50 secondsbank. Interest rates keep dropping. Buy wealth management products. The old sure thing days are gone. Jump into the stock 6:576 minutes, 57 secondsmarket. People won't risk it. Start a business. There's weak consumer demand. 7:027 minutes, 2 secondsPrice wars are fierce and they're afraid of losing the principle. In the end, a lot of people's choices is simple. Just 7:097 minutes, 9 secondssave it for now. In the past, when you had money, you thought about where to invest it. Now, when you have money, the first thought is where it'll be safe. 7:177 minutes, 17 secondsMoney just doesn't go as far as it used to. Wages barely move. Yet, a lot of everyday things keep getting more expensive. 7:287 minutes, 28 secondsA lot of things these days are ridiculously expensive. I honestly don't feel like buying anything anymore. I remember floor water used to be super super cheap. Now, a bottle's over 10.
The price must have jumped several times. And duck snacks, just a small bag for the movies, is already dozens of yen. My uncle used to sell it. When I helped watch his shop, he told me that duck was for people who couldn't afford pork or beef, essentially poor man's meat. He'd say, "If you see folks at lunch only buying soy, just give them a duck carcass. They'll take it home and eat it with rice." Now, duck snacks cost more than pork or beef and crispy rice, bread, easily over 10 yen each. In a developing country, bread shouldn't cost more than 15 yen. Why? Because clay pot 8:118 minutes, 11 secondsrice is also 15 yen. And ice cream. I went and got a tiny scoop for 1990. 1990 just for a tiny scoop. I don't even know 8:208 minutes, 20 secondswhat they're selling. It's like daylight robbery. Salaries haven't gone up at all, but prices have taken off like a rocket. I graduated from junior college 8:288 minutes, 28 secondsmaking 3,500 a month. Now it's 2026 and they're still hiring at 3,500. 8:358 minutes, 35 secondsThey could still find junior college graduates or even bachelor's degree holders willing to take the job. One nizen put it this way. The Lucian floral 8:438 minutes, 43 secondswater, four bottles for over 100 yen. I bought it once, never again. Similar complaints about fruit are popping up, too. 8:548 minutes, 54 secondsNo way. I feel like I can barely afford to live anymore. I know prices have been rising like crazy, but it's gotten so 9:029 minutes, 2 secondsbad it's completely shattered my world view. Just this little bunch of grapes for 10 yen. These grapes are 14 and 12 9:099 minutes, 9 secondsyen a pound. That's way too expensive. I honestly feel like I can't afford fruit anymore. I've always just eaten apples 9:179 minutes, 17 secondsand stuff. And yesterday I was really craving grapes, you know. I still haven't had any grapes this year. One netzen agreed. Fruit really isn't for 9:269 minutes, 26 secondsordinary people anymore. It's just too expensive. These days, when I see fruit at four and a half a pound, my first thought is that it's cheap. If it's too 9:359 minutes, 35 secondsexpensive, I simply can't afford it. And then there's ordinary breakfast. 9:429 minutes, 42 secondsOh my gosh, prices these days are really unaffordable. This isn't something poor people can handle. Anyway, sisters, tomorrow morning I've got an early 9:519 minutes, 51 secondsshift, so I won't have time to cook. I figured I would just go to that bread place and grab two pieces. I told myself, just buy two. How expensive 9:599 minutes, 59 secondscould it possibly be, right? I ended up buying four two sandwiches. One with cheese, corn, egg, and two little 10:0610 minutes, 6 secondssausage pieces up the top. The other was a chicken breast one that looked a bit undercooked. My husband's on a diet, so I figured one each. Then I grabbed a 10:1510 minutes, 15 secondsstrawberry flavored roll and a toast. 80 yen. I was charged 80 yen. I was stunned. 50 or 60 yen would have been fine, but 80 yen completely shocked me. 10:2710 minutes, 27 secondsOh my gosh, a whole day's work down the drain. I'm telling you, if you go out to buy something, anything these days, you 10:3410 minutes, 34 secondsreally shouldn't, unless you really have to. It's so easy to blow through 100 yen like it's nothing. It's terrifying, honestly. 10:4310 minutes, 43 secondsOne nizen said, "These days, if the total at checkout is way too high, I just put the items down and walk away. I don't care about feeling embarrassed. If 10:5110 minutes, 51 secondsI don't think it's worth it, I simply won't buy it. Let people think whatever they want." A few years ago, one of the hottest phrases in retail marketing was
consumption upgrade. Coffee had to be specialty. Phones had to be high-end. 11:0511 minutes, 5 secondsProducts had to be brand name. Sellers were focused on how to get shoppers from spending 100 yen up to 300 yen. Now the 11:1211 minutes, 12 secondswind has shifted. Affordable alternatives, discounts, group buys, value for money, and 9.9. Deals are 11:2111 minutes, 21 secondseverywhere. Coffee shops, tea drinks, restaurants, and e-commerce are all locked in price wars. Secondhand 11:2811 minutes, 28 secondstrading, discount warehouses, and nearly expired food are becoming more common, too. It's not that people suddenly stop liking nice things. It's that they think 11:3611 minutes, 36 secondstwice before spending online. More and more people are talking about weaker consumer demand. 11:4411 minutes, 44 secondsCome on, since nobody knows each other, let's share. Just how extreme has your cost cutting become? This whole so-called consumption downgrade thing, 11:5211 minutes, 52 secondsI've noticed it's everywhere now. What really brought this home for me was when I realized the bar for calling a woman materialistic has gotten lower and 12:0012 minuteslower. Before, signs of a materialistic woman were mostly high bride prices. 12:0612 minutes, 6 secondsTrips to Europe, buying luxury handbags, crying in a BMW, that kind of thing. In recent years, some guys started asking 12:1312 minutes, 13 secondsonline, "My wife's pregnant and wants 90 strawberries. Is she vain?" And lately, I've even scrolled past stuff like, "My 12:2112 minutes, 21 secondsgirlfriend has to drink 15 milk tea every day. Is she materialistic?" One nizen said, "It's not consumption 12:2912 minutes, 29 secondsdowngrade. It's forced downgrade. We just can't earn that money anymore." Another put it even more bluntly. No 12:3612 minutes, 36 secondsunderwear, no car, no dinner, no fruit, no new clothes or shoes. If it's not absolutely necessary, I don't buy it. I 12:4312 minutes, 43 secondscut my own hair. I don't socialize. My phone plan is 39 un including data. I'm not changing homes. My son isn't 12:5112 minutes, 51 secondsplanning to get married. And if I get seriously ill, I won't seek treatment. 12:5612 minutes, 56 secondsYou can see from comments like these that more and more people are starting to count every cent. They're not sure how much money they'll be able to earn down the road, so they don't dare to 13:0413 minutes, 4 secondsspend as freely as they used to. And that caution ultimately comes back to jobs. There are plenty of people looking for work, but not enough suitable 13:1213 minutes, 12 secondsopenings. Dozens or even hundreds of applicants line up for a single post. 13:1713 minutes, 17 secondsSo, companies find it easier to push wages down. Finding a job may get even harder going forward because the competition isn't just coming from other 13:2413 minutes, 24 secondspeople anymore. Now, with AI, companies are starting to think about how to replace their workforce. Customer service, copywriting, graphic design, 13:3413 minutes, 34 secondsdata sorting, these jobs are already starting to feel the impact. Of course, new jobs will appear as well. But the 13:4113 minutes, 41 secondsproblem is, it's not necessarily the case that for every job lost, a new one will be created. What's even more troubling is that China's population has 13:4913 minutes, 49 secondsalready started to shrink. Yet, people haven't become more valuable because of it. In 2025, China recorded 7.9 million 13:5713 minutes, 57 secondsbirths and 11.3 million deaths, a net drop of 3.4 million people in a single year. In theory, with fewer people
around, young workers should be in higher demand and wages should rise. The reality is the opposite. At the end of the day, fewer people doesn't mean more 14:1414 minutes, 14 secondsgood jobs. That's a contradiction right now. On one hand, there's worry that there won't be enough young people to do the work in the future. On the other, 14:2214 minutes, 22 secondsthe young people who are already here can't find jobs they're satisfied with. 14:2714 minutes, 27 secondsFinding a job and low pay are the reality a lot of ordinary people face in this era. When the economy will turn around isn't something ordinary people 14:3414 minutes, 34 secondscan decide. But if wages, housing, and degrees are all losing value, does that mean a person's own worth is dropping too? Ancient Chinese thought didn't 14:4314 minutes, 43 secondsjudge a person only by how much money they had or how high and official they became or how well they were doing at the moment. They looked more at how 14:5114 minutes, 51 secondssomeone conducted themselves when things were going well and whether they could still hold on to themselves when things went badly. 14:5914 minutes, 59 secondsMenches said, "When poor, cultivate yourself. When successful, benefit the world. The poor here doesn't mean just 15:0615 minutes, 6 secondshaving no money. It also means being stuck, frustrated, unable to realize your ambitions. So being poor isn't 15:1315 minutes, 13 secondsshameful. Temporarily without a job, seeing your income drop, or having a business fail doesn't mean the person has failed. The real difficulty is this. 15:2315 minutes, 23 secondsWhen life is at its toughest, will the pressure make you gradually abandon your values? The ancients in China lived through prosperous ages and they also 15:3015 minutes, 30 secondslived through wars, famines and changes of dynasties. They knew full well that a person's life can't always go smoothly. 15:3815 minutes, 38 secondsThat's why Confucious said, "A gentleman remains firm even in hard times." And the book of changes says, "Heaven moves 15:4515 minutes, 45 secondswith constant strength. A gentleman strives unceasingly to improve himself." These words have been passed down for thousands of years. Not because Chinese 15:5415 minutes, 54 secondspeople never knew hard times. exactly the opposite is because they live through so many of them. And they're not telling people to just resign themselves 16:0116 minutes, 1 secondto whatever comes. They're telling later generations, the more chaotic the world outside becomes, the less you can afford to let yourself fall into the chaos 16:0916 minutes, 9 secondsfirst. Don't start cheating just because others cheat. Don't decide you'll never get a chance just because you don't see one right now. And don't conclude that 16:1816 minutes, 18 secondsyour whole life has no value just because this era hasn't given you a place yet. An error can put a price on your house, on your degree, even on an 16:2616 minutes, 26 secondshour of your labor. But it has no right to decide for you whether you're worth living with dignity and self-respect. 16:3216 minutes, 32 secondsChina's history has seen plenty of dark ages, and has also seen order return after chaos, and prosperity return after decline time and again. No one knows how 16:4116 minutes, 41 secondslong today's economic difficulties will last.
6 comments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrvBADGQes
A Master’s Degree Means Nothing? 300+ Chinese Graduates Fight For One Cutting Vegetables Job 26 Aug 2026 #chinaobserver
People online are shaking their heads: Have college diplomas really lost this much value?
For many young people in China right now, the question isn’t whether studying is still worth it. It’s: once you finish college, what jobs are available—and how much money will you actually make? 82 Comments
@asmongold2028 2 hours ago They built the most intensive university system just in time for AI to take all jobs @Dsdcain 1 hour ago China is in a death spiral. People aren't buying. So factories are closing and people are lose their job. Of course it accelerates building up to a crash. The CCP is destroying itself trying to cling to power. @sebion 31 minutes ago wait china doesn't have robots to cut vegetables and fruits? I thought it was so advanced and years ahead of other countries
@johnreed8336 2 hours ago The people of China are being totally scammed by CCP elite and their associates. Time to rise up and free yourself and the country .
@rudyavila1825 48 minutes ago May this be the generation that overthrows CCP and establishes democracy in China. @Kak180 1 hour ago ❤😘🤝💪👊Free China ❤
@MeongMiao 54 minutes ago Someday our job is just to receive from government and consume it to prevent the economy collapse. @Renfair333 1 hour ago They created generations who expect the benefits of open-market capitalism but thought capitalism wasn't needed to build it.
@ivannovotny4552 24 minutes ago China's sad state of affairs. @ClaudioCostaLima 1 hour ago They call this communism.
Transcript: Over 300 master's degree graduates applied to cut veggies and stock shelves at a supermarket. So what's the point of studying anymore? People online are shaking their heads. Have college diplomas really lost this much value? For many young people in China right now, the question isn't whether studying is still worth it. It's once you finish college, what jobs are available and how much money will you actually make? A few who did land work say their salaries are surprisingly low. Hey, I'm seriously freaked out by the job market in Guangjou. I don't even know if it's just Guango. Anyway, I was scrolling Red Note just now and saw this post. There's this bookstore in the mall right next to my place hiring a clerk. So, it's close and the position sounded kind of nice. So, I asked about it. You know how much they're paying? I still
1:001 minutecan't believe it. 3,200 yen. And it's not even weekends off. You only get Mondays off, so you work weekends, too.
1:081 minute, 8 seconds[snorts] Plus, during probation, they cut 400 yen. So, that's 2,800 yen a month. What the? Even though they say
1:161 minute, 16 secondsit's only 6 hours a day, 2,800 yen is just ridiculous. What can you even do with 2,800 yen in Guangjo? Listen, a
1:251 minute, 25 secondscouple days ago I helped my mom find a job back home and she got a clerk position for 3,000 yen a month. Our hometown is some tiny 18th tier county.
1:361 minute, 36 secondsHow did it end up like this? One comment put it this way. Guanzo isn't short of people at all. There are nearly 100
1:441 minute, 44 secondsuniversities here, plus college grads from all over the country. Just think about that. Some people feel it more bluntly. 10 years have gone by. Prices
1:541 minute, 54 secondshave gone up, but wages haven't kept pace.
2:012 minutes, 1 secondSalaries these days are ridiculously low. Not even as good as 10 years ago. A few days ago, I went to apply for a job.
2:092 minutes, 9 secondsActually, I already did the trial shift. Everything seemed fine making cakes.
2:142 minutes, 14 secondsThey only mentioned a salary range at first and but now they're telling me it's 3,800 a month. Not going to lie, 10
2:212 minutes, 21 secondsyears ago, I was already making 4,000 yen a month, plus room and board, covering two meals. Only breakfast
2:292 minutes, 29 secondswasn't included. Everything else was covered. Now, they cover one meal, no full board, no lodging. So, one meal
2:362 minutes, 36 secondsprovided, no place to stay, and the pay is 3,800 yen. My goodness. The thing is, prices now and prices 10 years ago are
2:452 minutes, 45 secondsnot even in the same universe. What's more unsettling is that even a degree and solid work experience, once thought to be the shest way to raise your
2:542 minutes, 54 secondsstanding, don't necessarily bring better pay anymore. On August 24th, a story titled 45-year-old woman with a master's
3:023 minutes, 2 secondsdegree loses her job and sells fruit at a street stall hit Waybo's hot search.
3:073 minutes, 7 secondsMiss Chen studied overseas, worked in Beijing for 12 years, and once held a director's post at a real estate
3:143 minutes, 14 secondscompany. Her monthly income used to hit 45,000 UN. After 2 years out of work, she still has roughly 800,000 UN left on
3:223 minutes, 22 secondsher mortgage. Now she sells fruit from a stall and takes home only a few thousand a month. From a company director earning
3:293 minutes, 29 secondsover 40,000 UN a month to making a few thousand selling fruit. She has both the degree and the experience, but the income those used to deliver may no
3:383 minutes, 38 secondslonger be within reach. In the summer of 2026, about 12.7 million more university graduates will leave campus across
3:453 minutes, 45 secondsChina. After 4 years of college, some of them have started running the numbers.
3:513 minutes, 51 seconds[music]
3:543 minutes, 54 secondsFour years of college cost my family nearly 100,000 yen. After graduation, I went out to look for work. Guess how much the monthly pay turned out to be?
5,000 yen. Ane normal university. A degree from here shouldn't be that bad, right? But once I actually went into the real world, I realized the diploma isn't nearly as valuable as I thought. I did the math. With this 5,000 salary after food, daily stuff, all the expenses, even if I managed to save 1,000 a month, that's only 10,000 a year. It would take me 9 years just to earn back the money I spent on my 4-year degree. So, can someone please tell me what's the point of going to college? It used to be that the more you studied, the higher your degree, the richer your experience, the higher your income would climb. But that path is looking less and less certain now. Jobs are hard to find, and raises are getting harder to come by. For many families, even if they still have some savings, they don't dare to spend the
way they used to. Data from the People's Bank of China showed that in the first 7 months of this year, household deposits
rose by 7 trillion yen, while household loans fell by 827 billion UN. Government figures show retail sales of consumer
goods rose just 0.6% year-onear in July and fixed asset investment dropped 6.7%
5:155 minutes, 15 secondsin the first 7 months. That pretty much tells the story. It's not that people have no money, they're just less and less willing to spend it or borrow.
5:235 minutes, 23 secondsWhatever they can save, they save.
5:265 minutes, 26 secondsWhatever debt they can avoid, they avoid. Jobs keep getting harder to find, yet the money sitting in banks keeps growing. There's money, but people won't
5:345 minutes, 34 secondstouch it. There are plenty of people, but they can't sell at a good price. Why won't they touch the money? Because a path most people once knew best after
5:425 minutes, 42 secondsthey had cash isn't working as well as it used to. Nizens talking about housing in Chong Sha aren't thinking about their
5:495 minutes, 49 secondshome values going up. They're wondering whether they'll even be able to sell the place later.
5:585 minutes, 58 secondsI don't dare talk about housing prices in Wuhou, but I know in Chong Sha right now, you could get a place that's 750 to
6:056 minutes, 5 seconds970 square ft in the city center for a little over 300,000 yen. These prices are only going to keep dropping. Whoever
6:136 minutes, 13 secondsdares to buy right now is a hero. a real hero. Right now, it's easy to trade cash for a home, but if you want to turn that home back into cash, it's really, really
6:226 minutes, 22 secondshard. People who already own homes worry the value will keep falling. Young people without homes still look at Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen, and
6:316 minutes, 31 secondsfeel they're too expensive. But for ordinary folks, the more practical question is this. The money they've worked so hard to earn, where can they
6:396 minutes, 39 secondseven put it now? For more than 20 years, Chinese families had a simple answer.
6:436 minutes, 43 secondsBuy a house. Now more and more people don't dare to take that path. So where else can the money go? Park it in the
6:506 minutes, 50 secondsbank. Interest rates keep dropping. Buy wealth management products. The old sure thing days are gone. Jump into the stock
6:576 minutes, 57 secondsmarket. People won't risk it. Start a business. There's weak consumer demand.
7:027 minutes, 2 secondsPrice wars are fierce and they're afraid of losing the principle. In the end, a lot of people's choices is simple. Just
7:097 minutes, 9 secondssave it for now. In the past, when you had money, you thought about where to invest it. Now, when you have money, the first thought is where it'll be safe.
7:177 minutes, 17 secondsMoney just doesn't go as far as it used to. Wages barely move. Yet, a lot of everyday things keep getting more expensive.
7:287 minutes, 28 secondsA lot of things these days are ridiculously expensive. I honestly don't feel like buying anything anymore. I remember floor water used to be super super cheap. Now, a bottle's over 10.
The price must have jumped several times. And duck snacks, just a small bag for the movies, is already dozens of yen. My uncle used to sell it. When I
helped watch his shop, he told me that duck was for people who couldn't afford pork or beef, essentially poor man's meat. He'd say, "If you see folks at
lunch only buying soy, just give them a duck carcass. They'll take it home and eat it with rice." Now, duck snacks cost more than pork or beef and crispy rice, bread, easily over 10 yen each. In a developing country, bread shouldn't cost more than 15 yen. Why? Because clay pot
8:118 minutes, 11 secondsrice is also 15 yen. And ice cream. I went and got a tiny scoop for 1990. 1990 just for a tiny scoop. I don't even know
8:208 minutes, 20 secondswhat they're selling. It's like daylight robbery. Salaries haven't gone up at all, but prices have taken off like a rocket. I graduated from junior college
8:288 minutes, 28 secondsmaking 3,500 a month. Now it's 2026 and they're still hiring at 3,500.
8:358 minutes, 35 secondsThey could still find junior college graduates or even bachelor's degree holders willing to take the job. One nizen put it this way. The Lucian floral
8:438 minutes, 43 secondswater, four bottles for over 100 yen. I bought it once, never again. Similar complaints about fruit are popping up, too.
8:548 minutes, 54 secondsNo way. I feel like I can barely afford to live anymore. I know prices have been rising like crazy, but it's gotten so
9:029 minutes, 2 secondsbad it's completely shattered my world view. Just this little bunch of grapes for 10 yen. These grapes are 14 and 12
9:099 minutes, 9 secondsyen a pound. That's way too expensive. I honestly feel like I can't afford fruit anymore. I've always just eaten apples
9:179 minutes, 17 secondsand stuff. And yesterday I was really craving grapes, you know. I still haven't had any grapes this year. One netzen agreed. Fruit really isn't for
9:269 minutes, 26 secondsordinary people anymore. It's just too expensive. These days, when I see fruit at four and a half a pound, my first thought is that it's cheap. If it's too
9:359 minutes, 35 secondsexpensive, I simply can't afford it. And then there's ordinary breakfast.
9:429 minutes, 42 secondsOh my gosh, prices these days are really unaffordable. This isn't something poor people can handle. Anyway, sisters, tomorrow morning I've got an early
9:519 minutes, 51 secondsshift, so I won't have time to cook. I figured I would just go to that bread place and grab two pieces. I told myself, just buy two. How expensive
9:599 minutes, 59 secondscould it possibly be, right? I ended up buying four two sandwiches. One with cheese, corn, egg, and two little
10:0610 minutes, 6 secondssausage pieces up the top. The other was a chicken breast one that looked a bit undercooked. My husband's on a diet, so I figured one each. Then I grabbed a
10:1510 minutes, 15 secondsstrawberry flavored roll and a toast. 80 yen. I was charged 80 yen. I was stunned. 50 or 60 yen would have been fine, but 80 yen completely shocked me.
10:2710 minutes, 27 secondsOh my gosh, a whole day's work down the drain. I'm telling you, if you go out to buy something, anything these days, you
10:3410 minutes, 34 secondsreally shouldn't, unless you really have to. It's so easy to blow through 100 yen like it's nothing. It's terrifying, honestly.
10:4310 minutes, 43 secondsOne nizen said, "These days, if the total at checkout is way too high, I just put the items down and walk away. I don't care about feeling embarrassed. If
10:5110 minutes, 51 secondsI don't think it's worth it, I simply won't buy it. Let people think whatever they want." A few years ago, one of the hottest phrases in retail marketing was
consumption upgrade. Coffee had to be specialty. Phones had to be high-end.
11:0511 minutes, 5 secondsProducts had to be brand name. Sellers were focused on how to get shoppers from spending 100 yen up to 300 yen. Now the
11:1211 minutes, 12 secondswind has shifted. Affordable alternatives, discounts, group buys, value for money, and 9.9. Deals are
11:2111 minutes, 21 secondseverywhere. Coffee shops, tea drinks, restaurants, and e-commerce are all locked in price wars. Secondhand
11:2811 minutes, 28 secondstrading, discount warehouses, and nearly expired food are becoming more common, too. It's not that people suddenly stop liking nice things. It's that they think
11:3611 minutes, 36 secondstwice before spending online. More and more people are talking about weaker consumer demand.
11:4411 minutes, 44 secondsCome on, since nobody knows each other, let's share. Just how extreme has your cost cutting become? This whole so-called consumption downgrade thing,
11:5211 minutes, 52 secondsI've noticed it's everywhere now. What really brought this home for me was when I realized the bar for calling a woman materialistic has gotten lower and
12:0012 minuteslower. Before, signs of a materialistic woman were mostly high bride prices.
12:0612 minutes, 6 secondsTrips to Europe, buying luxury handbags, crying in a BMW, that kind of thing. In recent years, some guys started asking
12:1312 minutes, 13 secondsonline, "My wife's pregnant and wants 90 strawberries. Is she vain?" And lately, I've even scrolled past stuff like, "My
12:2112 minutes, 21 secondsgirlfriend has to drink 15 milk tea every day. Is she materialistic?" One nizen said, "It's not consumption
12:2912 minutes, 29 secondsdowngrade. It's forced downgrade. We just can't earn that money anymore." Another put it even more bluntly. No
12:3612 minutes, 36 secondsunderwear, no car, no dinner, no fruit, no new clothes or shoes. If it's not absolutely necessary, I don't buy it. I
12:4312 minutes, 43 secondscut my own hair. I don't socialize. My phone plan is 39 un including data. I'm not changing homes. My son isn't
12:5112 minutes, 51 secondsplanning to get married. And if I get seriously ill, I won't seek treatment.
12:5612 minutes, 56 secondsYou can see from comments like these that more and more people are starting to count every cent. They're not sure how much money they'll be able to earn down the road, so they don't dare to
13:0413 minutes, 4 secondsspend as freely as they used to. And that caution ultimately comes back to jobs. There are plenty of people looking for work, but not enough suitable
13:1213 minutes, 12 secondsopenings. Dozens or even hundreds of applicants line up for a single post.
13:1713 minutes, 17 secondsSo, companies find it easier to push wages down. Finding a job may get even harder going forward because the competition isn't just coming from other
13:2413 minutes, 24 secondspeople anymore. Now, with AI, companies are starting to think about how to replace their workforce. Customer service, copywriting, graphic design,
13:3413 minutes, 34 secondsdata sorting, these jobs are already starting to feel the impact. Of course, new jobs will appear as well. But the
13:4113 minutes, 41 secondsproblem is, it's not necessarily the case that for every job lost, a new one will be created. What's even more troubling is that China's population has
13:4913 minutes, 49 secondsalready started to shrink. Yet, people haven't become more valuable because of it. In 2025, China recorded 7.9 million
13:5713 minutes, 57 secondsbirths and 11.3 million deaths, a net drop of 3.4 million people in a single year. In theory, with fewer people
around, young workers should be in higher demand and wages should rise. The reality is the opposite. At the end of the day, fewer people doesn't mean more
14:1414 minutes, 14 secondsgood jobs. That's a contradiction right now. On one hand, there's worry that there won't be enough young people to do the work in the future. On the other,
14:2214 minutes, 22 secondsthe young people who are already here can't find jobs they're satisfied with.
14:2714 minutes, 27 secondsFinding a job and low pay are the reality a lot of ordinary people face in this era. When the economy will turn around isn't something ordinary people
14:3414 minutes, 34 secondscan decide. But if wages, housing, and degrees are all losing value, does that mean a person's own worth is dropping too? Ancient Chinese thought didn't
14:4314 minutes, 43 secondsjudge a person only by how much money they had or how high and official they became or how well they were doing at the moment. They looked more at how
14:5114 minutes, 51 secondssomeone conducted themselves when things were going well and whether they could still hold on to themselves when things went badly.
14:5914 minutes, 59 secondsMenches said, "When poor, cultivate yourself. When successful, benefit the world. The poor here doesn't mean just
15:0615 minutes, 6 secondshaving no money. It also means being stuck, frustrated, unable to realize your ambitions. So being poor isn't
15:1315 minutes, 13 secondsshameful. Temporarily without a job, seeing your income drop, or having a business fail doesn't mean the person has failed. The real difficulty is this.
15:2315 minutes, 23 secondsWhen life is at its toughest, will the pressure make you gradually abandon your values? The ancients in China lived through prosperous ages and they also
15:3015 minutes, 30 secondslived through wars, famines and changes of dynasties. They knew full well that a person's life can't always go smoothly.
15:3815 minutes, 38 secondsThat's why Confucious said, "A gentleman remains firm even in hard times." And the book of changes says, "Heaven moves
15:4515 minutes, 45 secondswith constant strength. A gentleman strives unceasingly to improve himself." These words have been passed down for thousands of years. Not because Chinese
15:5415 minutes, 54 secondspeople never knew hard times. exactly the opposite is because they live through so many of them. And they're not telling people to just resign themselves
16:0116 minutes, 1 secondto whatever comes. They're telling later generations, the more chaotic the world outside becomes, the less you can afford to let yourself fall into the chaos
16:0916 minutes, 9 secondsfirst. Don't start cheating just because others cheat. Don't decide you'll never get a chance just because you don't see one right now. And don't conclude that
16:1816 minutes, 18 secondsyour whole life has no value just because this era hasn't given you a place yet. An error can put a price on your house, on your degree, even on an
16:2616 minutes, 26 secondshour of your labor. But it has no right to decide for you whether you're worth living with dignity and self-respect.
16:3216 minutes, 32 secondsChina's history has seen plenty of dark ages, and has also seen order return after chaos, and prosperity return after decline time and again. No one knows how
16:4116 minutes, 41 secondslong today's economic difficulties will last.
Post a Comment